High Dynamic Range Support
There is no fundamental reason the BRL-CAD raytracer cannot produce High Dynamic Range output, but it currently does not do so and BRL-CAD's image tools do not support it.
This task would involve:
- Investigating the OpenEXR image file format for suitability for use in BRL-CAD
- Identify BRL-CAD libraries and tools that would need to be enhanced (either to support OpenEXR or some other format)
- Allow BRL-CAD raytracing to generate HDRI output
- Allow BRL-CAD image editing and display tools to work with HDRI output
The end product should be an enhanced raytracer and toolchain that can produce and handle HDRI images.
- most of our raytracers reside in here
- where optics are calculated during raytracing
- tons of image converters
- Strong familiarity with C and C++
- Understanding of issues related to HDR images and conversions