Coummunity Bonding Period
- Set up the Development log
- Set up the development environment such as OS.
- Start to look at the different potential libraries code base.
- Discuss with mentors which external library to choose.
- Start to check the checklist.
- Agreement sent.
- Dev log created.
- My Profile created.
- Had four of my wisdom teeth extracted. The progress for the following week may be slow due to teeth extraction.
- Looking at Coin3D/Dime code base, a possible library for DXF import/export.
- It has no external dependency.
- It supports all past and should support the future version of DXF format.
- It compiles on Windows, Linux, MacOS, etc.
- But it only loads DXF files into Dime object hierarchies and saves Dime object hierarchies as files conforming to DXF format.
- Seems only support 3D.
- Looking at BRL-CAD DXF import/export code. Trying to understand how it works and see if it is suitable for OpenSCAD.
- It converts DXF format to .g and .g to DXF which is a BRL-CAD format.
- It seems that BRL-CAD does not support the entire format, only the part that is relative to solid-model.
- Looking at dxflib which is used by QCAD and works fine, but it only supports 2D which is not ideal since OpenSCAD is already supporting 2D.
- Maybe we can add the 3D part. But not sure how hard it is to add that.
- Searching for a library that supports both 3D and 2D DXF import/export.
- Libraries above are for either 2D or 3D.
- Found some libraries support both but they are written in python instead of C++.
- Continue on searching for the potential library.
- Looking at and Compile libdxfrw code base which is used by LibreCAD.
- Will be out of town for the next two days.
- Looking at both libdxfrw(libdxfrw.h, dxfreader.cpp) and OpenSCAD(dxfdata.cc, dxfdim.cc, import.cc) relative code.
- Comparing the differences between these two on how they handle DXF data.
- Trying to form a connection between these two.
- dxfdata.cc seems a bit complicated. Need some time to digest.
- The way that libdxfrw reads DXF file is kind of mixing with DRW code.
- libdxfrw encounters problems when dealing with elevated arcs(no response yet).
- Looking at dxflib code base as well.
- dxflib does not store any entities, only pass supported entities.
- A useful link for understanding dxflib data structure.
- Move on to reading dxflib code for now
- Continue reading the link about the data structure of dxflib above.
- Trying to understand form the connection between dxflib and OpenSCAD code base.
- Continue reading dxfdata.cc
- Found another one existing integration with dxflib that I can use it as reference.CAMotics
- Continue on reading dxflib and import.cc, dxfdata.cc.
- Keep trying to write some code that may help understanding how to integrate the library.
- Fill out the comparison wiki page
- Had to go the dentist this morning, will catch up the afternoon and at night.
- Keep browsing for more information for those four libraries.
- Reading DXF standard to learn how DXF format works
- Searching more information for potential libraries.
- Add more information that found to the comparison page.
- Learning how to integrate the library from the instruction written by QCAD.
- We stick with using BRL-CAD's code for now.
- Try to implement the circle entity.
*Basically create a new import_dxf() function replace the old dxfdata.cc *Implement a simple geometry to test out the function(not working yet)