Google Code In
Google Code-in is a contest run by Google with a goal of encouraging young (13 to 17 years old) students to participate in open source. Since 2010, Google Code-in has been introducing pre-university students from around the globe to various open source communities. The format of participating in Google Code-in is as follows:
- BRL-CAD will create a list of tasks for students to work upon. Each task will have a mentor associated with it.
- A student picks a task from the list and he/she is assigned a deadline.
- While a task is claimed no other student can work on that task.
- After completion of task it's ready to be reviewed by mentor.
- Based on the performance of the student mentor may approve, disapprove or extend the deadline for the task.
BRL-CAD was one of the three selected communities in the year 2012. This year we are again applying for the event.
[TODO : Make a checklist and Link it here .]
Whether you're applying or accepted, we've itemized everything you need to do into a simple CHECKLIST. We're here to help you become new open source developers, so don't be shy if you have any questions.
BRL-CAD participation in GCI
You can check out promotional flyers that have been prepared in the past on our [flyers page].
This year, we are submitting application for selection of BRL-CAD to GCI 2013 with a whole lot of introductory itty-bitty task for new comers and pre university students. Keeping Fingers Crossed for the Selection !
This was the first year of our participation in GCI. Out of 10 organizations chosen, BRL-CAD was one among them. With an overwhelming response, we successfully compeleted the program with enthusiastic pre-university students having a feel of accomplishment and gaining a pool of knowledge at the end of the program.