Community Publication Portal
Welcome to the BRL-CAD community publication portal. This page is dedicated to the preparation and editing of community publications for BRL-CAD.
This is the place to learn what publications are proposed or upcoming, which are actively being worked on, and their individual editorial status. You are welcome and encouraged to help share news about recent events or current activities taking place within the BRL-CAD community.
Note: if you see a comment indicating that a section is FROZEN, any changes you make in that section may go unnoticed. If you find errors in a FROZEN article, contact Sean (brlcad on freenode IRC) who may be able to incorporate changes during final publication.
Formatting & Editing Standards:
Feel free to fix if you see something non-standard.
- Beginning quotations are italicized and placed between double quotes (wiki formatting requires 2 single quotes, space, double quote to achieve this)
- All acronyms need to be defined (Like This) upon first use; further use can use the acronym only
- Titles and Section Headings are bold (achieved by placing text between three single quotes); each should be Title Case (Meaning UpperCase the Major Words)
- Use the serial comma. One, two, and three; not one, two and three.
- Prefer first person for release notes, third person for everything else.
- Do not abbrev. words.
- Cite references and/or include hyperlinks.
- Keep it brief.
For release publications, follow HACKING. For everything else, distribute to the following:
- (optional) https://brlcad.org/wiki/
- (optional) http://www.tenlinks.com/NEWS/tl_daily/submit_news.htm
- (optional) http://upfrontezine.com
- 1 Ready for Publication
- 2 Final Editorial Review
- 3 Initial Drafts
- 4 Idea Hopper
- 4.1 Erik Greenwald: ADRT/ISST Visualization
- 4.2 Cliff Yapp: NURBS Ray Tracing in BRL-CAD
- 4.3 Bob Parker: Alpha Archer: Working Towards Next Generation MGED
- 4.4 Finding the Hot Spots
- 4.5 Point Clouds
- 4.6 bn_mat_inv: singular matrix
- 4.7 Graphical Showcase: Goliath
- 4.8 Model Showcase: Proyecto Catapulta
- 4.9 Model Showcase: Union Coupling Tool
Ready for Publication
These are articles ready for publication. Release notes should follow a release and get published within the first week of the month. Other publications should be scheduled one or two weeks later, ideally on the third week of the month.
Cliff Yapp, 2010DEC8: Release 7.18.0
We are pleased to announce the availability of BRL-CAD 7.18.0. Since our previous public release announcement, there was another 7.16 stabilization release and there have been more than 50 user-visible changes to BRL-CAD. Among those changes include significant development on NURBS support, MGED enhancements, geometry conversion, Windows portability, documentation, and more.
BRL-CAD's support for NURBS boundary representation geometry continues to be a primary development focus area so BRL-CAD may faithfully represent external CAD models without having to convert to a polygonal representation. Support for NURBS ray tracing continues to advance steadily with improved wireframes, enhanced surface evaluation, and overall robustness improvements. Enhancements to NURBS wireframes provides a much better visualization of surface contours and ray tracing improvements resolve the majority of previously observed rendering problems.
Numerous MGED command bugs have been fixed including an output formatting problem with 'nirt' ; a problem with 'red' deleting attributes; garbage output in results from 'idents' , 'solids' , and 'regions' ; and much more. By popular request, the 'rt' command is now capable of outputting directly to the PNG image file format along with support for PPM, BMP, and BW images. A new albeit preliminary Bag of Triangles (BoT) editing interface has been developed for Archer and MGED to consolidate and organize the various BoT processing commands into a unified easy-to-use interface. Also included is the conclusion of a phenomenal effort by Jesica Guidice who meticulously translated approximately 150 pages of MGED tutorial documentation from English to Spanish. The 16 tutorials are now fully converted while work continues on the technical side towards publishing corresponding PDF documents on the BRL-CAD website.
Other fixes include numerous NMG/BoT robustness improvements supporting geometry conversion and export. In support of this robustness work, a new sophisticated 'conversion.sh' test script is available that attempts to convert all geometry in specified .g files to NMG and BoT format with results reported in a concise and organized manner. With repeatable metrics and numerous failure cases in hand, work can begin towards systematically addressing common problems that affect geometry conversion and export.
Special thanks go out to Östen Lundahl, Rob Shinn, Jesica Giudice, Luciano Lamaita, John Anderson, Nicholas Reed, Cliff Yapp, Richard Weiss, Erik Greenwald, Bob Parker, Sean Morrison, and Keith Bowman for their contributions to this release. Since release 7.16.8, the categorized changes include:
- improved NURBS wireframes with interior surface lines
- improved support for unlimited object counts in mged
- fixed 'erase_all' behavior so 'who' gives correct lists
- fixed idents, solids, and regions output
- fixed running mged external tools (e.g., rt) after 'cd'
- new BoT editing interface for mged and archer
- fixed mged zap crash while using preview
- added ability to toggle mged status bar via .mgedrc
- new mged 'bot' command for accessing BoT properties
- fixed nirt output formatting in MGED
- mged 'red' command no longer deletes custom attributes
- fixed crash using bot_split on non-"plate mode" BoTs
- improved NURBS curve evaluation for mged brep command
- fixed OpenGL framebuffer Mac refresh bug
Ray Tracing & Analysis
- rt can now output directly to PNG, among others
- additional NURBS raytracing robustness improvements
- fixed NURBS raytrace bug grazing nearly flat surfaces
- fixed 'pnts' point cloud primitive memory access bug
- improved robustness of CSG boolean tree processing
- added ray bundle shooting capability to rtshot
- increased optimized package run-time performance
- fixed crash when raytracing multiple frames
- increased performance of facetization and export
- fixed infinite loop bug converting to NMG and BoT
- fixed crash during BoT decimation
- improved robustness of facetization and export
- cleaner logging of facetize command BoT failures
- fixed crash-on-exit bug with iges-g importer
- fixed crash tessellating pipes with maximum bends
- fixed extrude object tessellation failures
- ported benchmark suite to Windows (requires 'sh')
- improved Windows installer desktop shortcut creation
- improved loading of Pro/E export plugin on Windows
- added all remaining shape tools to the Windows build
- libpng updated from version 1.4.1 to 1.4.3
- Tcl/Tk updated from 8.5.6 to 8.5.8
- added Tktable 2.10 external dependency for archer
- expanded rtarea documentation with examples and detail
- spanish translation for tutorials 4-5 and 7-16
- added manual page for 'random' number generator tool
- restored archer view commands to work without a .g file
- improvements to the primitive creation menu in archer
- improved archer object list view
- removed pl-sgi plot tool
- removed 'query' command line prompting tool
- fixed framebuffer shutdown and memory management bugs
- fixed pixhalve memory leak and corruption on exit
- fixed heap corruption writing NURBS sketch objects
- added fullscreen display mode via F5 keybinding to ISST
- fixed memory leak in ISST during window resizing
- fixed running multiple framebuffer servers concurrently
Please visit the Sourceforge project website to download the latest version: http://sf.net/projects/brlcad
See the BRL-CAD website at http://brlcad.org for more information.
Final Editorial Review
These should be "complete" articles. The author is done with the content and all that remains is a review of structure, grammar, voice, punctuation, and spelling. Images may be added as well.
These are incomplete articles being worked on. Most articles should be between 250 and 500 words (not counting tables, labels, and diagrams) before they have enough content to be considered complete.
These are ideas for interesting or useful publications. We need someone to at least write a draft.
Erik Greenwald: ADRT/ISST Visualization
Article introducing ADRT/ISST core capability.
Cliff Yapp: NURBS Ray Tracing in BRL-CAD
Bob Parker: Alpha Archer: Working Towards Next Generation MGED
Finding the Hot Spots
Article on the rt lighting model Stephen Kennedy developed that visualizes the time spent per-pixel.
Article introducing the new point cloud primitive.
bn_mat_inv: singular matrix
Article on the v4 format and binary compatibility.
Graphical Showcase: Goliath
Article talking about the making of the Goliath model.
Model Showcase: Proyecto Catapulta
Article on a model developed by André Santos, António Almeida, and Pedro Ferreira.
Model Showcase: Union Coupling Tool
Article on a model developed by Inês de Matos under teacher Luís Ferreira.