Community Bonding Period
I have made two patches for OpenCL (OCL) shot code. One patch refactors the existing sph (Sphere) shot code, and the another patch implements ehy (Elliptical Hyperboloid) shot code.
Week 1 : 25-31 May
- Created some example .g files in mged for the primitives to be implemented this week. The Quick Reference Card proved to be quite useful.
- Do the matrix ops for ehy (Elliptical Hyperboloid) in the OpenCL side.
- Made patch for ell (Generalized Ellipsoid) and arb8 (Arbitrary Polyhedron) OpenCL shots:
- M1 complete: ellipsoid (ell), arb8 (arbitrary polyhedron) shot routines in OCL.
- Tried out a bunch of code browsing tools (cscope, LXR, doxygen, etc). The NetBeans IDE seems the most promising.
Week 2 : 1-7 Jun
- Read code to better understand the main rendering loop. It seems to be something like this:
do_frame() → do_run() → worker()* → do_pixel()* → rt_shootray()* → rt_*_shot()
- The code is recursive (which is problematic for OpenCL). I'll work on a simplified version of the rendering loop which only does the primary rays in C as a first approach. After I get the non-recursive parallel friendly C code I'll work on the OpenCL port.
- Updated project proposal on Google Melange.
- SVN r65153 fails to compile with a bogus error of an unused variable that's actually being used its just that GCC 4.9.1 is too dumb to figure that out.
- Upgraded Ubuntu and GCC.
- Made simple ray generation code in C.
- Made simple frame buffer write code in C.
- Made simple diffuse shading code in C.
Week 3 : 8-14 Jun
- Added the main boolean weaving code to our minimal renderer.
- Eliminated some gotos and made the code more thread safe.
- The simple renderer patches are in the mailing-list.
Week 4 : 15-21 Jun
- Added OpenMP compile support. Use OpenMP constructs to launch the rendering threads. This work still has some bugs in it.
- Alpha M2 patch. in mailing-list.
- Read code to better understand the main spatial partition construction routines. They seem to be something like this:
rt_prep_parallel() → rt_cut_it() → rt_nugrid_cut()
- We need something less complex that is more amenable to porting to OpenCL. So I will be implementing the Lagae & Dutré compact grid construction algorithm published at EGSR. First I will program in ANSI C then I will port the code to OpenCL.
- Started work on M3: grid spatial partitioning in OCL.
- ANSI C Lagae & Dutré grid construction code.
Week 5 : 22-28 Jun
- Took time off from the project to go to the CGI'15 conference.
Week 6 : 29 Jun - 5 Jul