- 1 GSoC 2015 development logs
- 1.1 Community Bonding Period
- 1.2 Coding Period
- 1.2.1 25 MAY 2015
- 1.2.2 26 MAY 2015
- 1.2.3 27 MAY 2015
- 1.2.4 28 MAY 2015
- 1.2.5 29 MAY 2015
- 1.2.6 30 MAY 2015
- 1.2.7 31 MAY 2015
- 1.2.8 1 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.9 2 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.10 3 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.11 4 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.12 5 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.13 6 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.14 7 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.15 8 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.16 9 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.17 10 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.18 11 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.19 12 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.20 13 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.21 14 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.22 15 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.23 16 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.24 17 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.25 18 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.26 19 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.27 20 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.28 21 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.29 22 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.30 23 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.31 24 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.32 25 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.33 26 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.34 27 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.35 28 JUNE 2015
- 1.2.36 29 JUNE 2015 to 5 JULY 2015
- 1.3 POST MID-term Evaluation
- 1.3.1 6 JULY 2015
- 1.3.2 7 JULY 2015
- 1.3.3 8 JULY 2015
- 1.3.4 9 JULY 2015
- 1.3.5 10 JULY 2015
- 1.3.6 11 JULY 2015
- 1.3.7 12 JULY 2015
- 1.3.8 13 JULY 2015
- 1.3.9 14 JULY 2015
- 1.3.10 15 JULY 2015
- 1.3.11 16 JULY 2015
- 1.3.12 17 JULY 2015
- 1.3.13 16 JULY 2015
- 1.3.14 17 JULY 2015 to 21 JULY 2015
- 1.3.15 22 JULY 2015
- 1.3.16 23 JULY 2015
- 1.3.17 24 JULY 2015
- 1.3.18 25 JULY 2015
- 1.3.19 26 JULY 2015
- 1.3.20 27 JULY 2015
- 1.3.21 28 JULY 2015
- 1.3.22 29 JULY 2015
- 1.3.23 30 JULY 2015
- 1.3.24 31 JULY 2015
- 1.3.25 1 AUGUST 2015
- 1.3.26 2 AUGUST 2015
- 1.3.27 3 AUGUST 2015
- 1.3.28 4 AUGUST 2015
GSoC 2015 development logs
Community Bonding Period
I have began this period by going through and adhering to the BRL-CAD Summer of Code/Checklist
- Working on replacing the FreeWRL dependency on automake to cmake and generate a shared library from src/lib of the FreeWRL source code.
25 MAY 2015
- Resolving linking issues with shared library generated from src/lib of the FreeWRL source code.
- Resolving FreeWRL X3D parser dependence on libxml(may need to set compilation as optional in order not to break the BRLCAD build process)
26 MAY 2015
- Trying to finalize work on shared library generation from src/lib of the FreeWRL source code.
- Still working on resolving issues with shared library
27 MAY 2015
- Finished generating shared library
- Studying the FreeWRL thread implementation
28 MAY 2015
- Still studying the FreeWRL thread implementation to resolve issues
- Testing functionality of the shared library
- I was not able to do much work today due to lack of electricity through out the day
Time put in 3 hours
29 MAY 2015
- Doing more research on the FreeWRL thread implementation to resolve issues
- Futher testing functionality of the shared library (writing code to parse input file)
- As a GDGBuea organiser, I spend most of the day hosting the Google I/O with other organisers for the GDGBuea community
- I would makeup for lost time today and yesterday by putting in more hours the following days
Time put in 3 hours
30 MAY 2015
- Made progress with debugging and just realised that issues (SIGSEGV) are as a result of improper casting with structures and thus poor memory allocation.
- I spent alot of time today working on the issues but have not yet full resolved it.
Time put in 6 hours
31 MAY 2015
- Resolved issues(SIGSEGV) which were as a result of improper memory access.
- Futher exploited FreeWRL source code to learn more on how to implement the parser
1 JUNE 2015
- Futher exploited FreeWRL source code to learn more on how to implement the parser(need to understand how to retrieve nodes from scene graph)
2 JUNE 2015
- Working on futher understanding the FreeWRL parser
3 JUNE 2015
- Finalizing on futher understanding the FreeWRL parser
4 JUNE 2015
- Successfuly built FreeWRL within brlcad src/other
- Started implementing load() function for X3D parser
5 JUNE 2015
- Futher work implementing load() function for X3D parser
6 JUNE 2015
- Futher work implementing load() function for X3D parser (ensures that nodes and properies are parsed properly)
7 JUNE 2015
- Working on load function
8 JUNE 2015
- Working on load function
9 JUNE 2015
- Implemented init_res() function in FreeWRL to intitialize all required resources
- Started work on main() function for the x3d parser
10 JUNE 2015
- Finalized work on init_res() function in FreeWRL to intitialize all required resources
- Did more work on main() function for the x3d parser(basic input and outfile handling)
11 JUNE 2015
- Started working on parse_scene() used to traverse the node of the scene-graph and retrieve properties
12 JUNE 2015
- I did not do any coding today as I have been trying to figure out an efficient way to implement the conversion routines and also extract the nodes and their properties from the root node
13 JUNE 2015
- Read the HACKING BRL-CAD again paying attention to note on global variables
- Continued work on parse_scene() taking into consideration what I learn from reading the HACKING guide.
14 JUNE 2015
- Started work on the do_color() function which is called by parse_scene() to assign color values to shape nodes
15 JUNE 2015
- Working on convert() function in FREEWRLwrapper
16 JUNE 2015
- Futher work on convert() function in FREEWRLwrapper
17 JUNE 2015
- Futher work on FREEWRLwrapper, ensuring PROTO(userdefind type nodes) are handled properly
18 JUNE 2015
- I did not do any work today as I had lots test to do at school, giving the teachers are rush to give us our first assesment before the exams start next week.
- I would make up for this time After my exams
19 JUNE 2015
No work done 0 on 5 hours put in.
20 JUNE 2015
- So far I have not been able to work on my project due to some school work. This means I have lost about 20 hours from the 18-20(today) of June, given that I had to put in about 10 on saturday as stated on my proposal.
- I would make up for this by working for about 15hours tomorrow and then the rest would be covered after my exams.
21 JUNE 2015
- Futher work on convert() function in FREEWRLwrapper (implementing do_transforn() function as helper function to convert())
22 JUNE 2015
23 JUNE 2015
- Further work on node transformation (implementing transform_points())
24 JUNE 2015
- I am unable to work consistenly as I am begining with me exams tomorrow so would just try to clean up the work I have done to far in preparation for mid-term evaluation.
25 JUNE 2015
- Could not do any work today because of my exams
26 JUNE 2015
- Cleaned up and modified cmake files
27 JUNE 2015
- Redefined OpenGL types making it possible for the code to compile without OpenGL dependencies.
28 JUNE 2015
- Cleaned up code and uploaded patches to github.
29 JUNE 2015 to 5 JULY 2015
- I was unable to do any work because of my exams
- Given the fact that I made the effort to put in more than 45hours a week before this period I would have made up for some of this lost time and I would also put in more time after my exams to meet up with my project.
POST MID-term Evaluation
6 JULY 2015
- Finished my exams today
- Started working on issues identified by my mentor
7 JULY 2015
- Handled parsing for Indexedfaceset
- Started working on BRLCADWrapper.c
8 JULY 2015
- Figured out an efficient way to handle script nodes
- Implementing and testing solution
9 JULY 2015
- Reconfigured cmakefile for parser to make use of libxml in misc/tools/xmltools/libxml of the BRL-CAD source code
- Resolved issues with dependencies and made patch which applies and compile without any dependency required.
10 JULY 2015
- Developed Writesphere() function for conversion of x3d sphere node to BRL-CAD sphere primitive
11 JULY 2015
- Resolved issues with ROUTE and Script instances
12 JULY 2015
- Developed Writecone() function for conversion of x3d cone node to BRL-CAD cone primitive
13 JULY 2015
- Split convert() function in BRLCADWrapper.c to init_convet() and finalize_convert in order to avoid code repetition
14 JULY 2015
- Conversion function does not work well after transformation
- Trying to resolve issues with transformation
15 JULY 2015
- Successfuly resolved issues with transformation
- Implemented and tested write_cone() function with success
16 JULY 2015
- Implemented and tested write_cylinder() adding support for x3d cylinder node
17 JULY 2015
- Implemented write_box() function and cleanedup code hoping to create a ticket any time soon
- So far I have completed work on importing x3d Geometry3D(primitive) component
16 JULY 2015
- Started work on x3d rendering component
- Implemented function for import of IndexedFaceset
17 JULY 2015 to 21 JULY 2015
- I have been unable to do any work through out this time because of sickness and on the 20th of JULY 2015 I was diagnosed with malaria.
- I would make up for all the time lost immidiately I get well
22 JULY 2015
- still working on get_poly() function for x3d rendering component
23 JULY 2015
- completed work on get_poly() function for x3d rendering component (works for IndexedFaceSet currently)
- started work on generating config.h for FreeWrl library using cmake
24 JULY 2015
- Debugged ROUTE and Script node parsing and added error message.
25 JULY 2015
- Configured cmake to generate config.h from config.h.in automatically.
26 JULY 2015
- Added support for collision node.
27 JULY 2015
- Debugging and testing functionality of converter.
28 JULY 2015
- Traveled home to see my sick father since I am spending my GSoC period away from home(in my school hostel in another town), so I did not do any work today.
29 JULY 2015
- Added support for indexedlineset nodes.
30 JULY 2015
- Spent the whole day trying to resolve issue with improper memory allocation.
- Issue still not resolved.
31 JULY 2015
-Resolved memory issue.
-Uploaded patch and test conversions
1 AUGUST 2015
- Added support for X3D IndexedTriangleSet
- Updated code comments
2 AUGUST 2015
- Cleanup code and commenting
- Modified primitive points assignment to make use of VSET() in node.c
3 AUGUST 2015
- testing and debugging code
4 AUGUST 2015
- Tried resolving issue with libxml as pointed out by my mentor.
- Got directives from Starseeker on irc that I would need to rework libxml in other to get it installed since it not installed and just used for building.
- Tried doing a make install but getting some errors "cannot find -lBulletSoftBody and others"