Difference between revisions of "STEP exporter"
(Update exporter task)
|Line 10:||Line 10:|
relevant standards : AP203, AP214, and the in-development AP242. A number of useful resources are listed below.
Latest revision as of 08:51, 1 March 2014
STEP is the current standard for exchange of CAD data between different software packages. BRL-CAD makes use of the STEPcode libraries to support import and export of STEP files, but STEP is a very large standard and there is a lot of additional work to be done.
For this project, there's a lot of directions that can be taken:
- We usually export Brep geometry since that is what AP203 supports, but newer STEP standards (AP214, AP242) also support a number of geometric primitives. We also don't currently support exporting mesh geometry (triangle or polygon based) and that's something we need to support, even if STEP isn't really a traditional container for triangle meshes.
- We don't do much about trying to preserve our attribute metadata currently - explore what options are available for doing so.
- Undoubtedly many more possibilities.
The relevant standards are: AP203, AP203e2, AP214, and the in-development AP242. A number of useful resources are listed below.
- this is where the current step-g importers and exporters resides
- this is STEPcode
- Recommended Practices for AP203
- Usage Guide for the STEP PDM Schema V1.2
- Familiarity with C++